Wednesday, February 16, 2011

V-day and Eyes

I've worn glasses since I was 4. A friend of my family caught my "lazy eye" around that age and my mom quickly took me into the eye doctor and I was diagnosed with Amblyopia and considered farsighted... I know, big word for "lazy eye", I had to wear glasses and a patch over my good eye for a while to help work my lazy eye. I really hated the patch, I remember fighting my mom in the mornings because I didn't want to wear it, I remember feeling embarrassed when we'd go out in public and I had to have it on. I had a patch that slipped over the glasses that had a fun clown on it, and a good friend of ours who's an artist drew some fun eyes on my sticky disposable patches, all in hopes to make things more fun. Well anyways, today I went into the eye doctor again because #1 my glasses broke and #2 I've noticed things are more blurry lately with and without my glasses, so I figured it was time to get checked again. I know that because of the patch, my amblyopia is considered mild, so that's been great. I can see with or without glasses, no problem. My right eye is the eye that does all the main work and I end up with headaches (one of my many causes of headaches) because of eye strain when I'm reading for a long time, or driving for a long time, or just plain looking at something for a long time. Today we figured out that no I'm not crazy, my eyes really have gotten worse, my prescription has changed. I also have an astigmatism that has occurred in my right eye making the blurriness worse, astigmatism is a weird curvature of the cornea... i think it's the cornea of the eye. It should be a nice rounded shape, but instead mine has turned into more of a football shape, and it refracts light differently, thus causing more blurriness. Oh Joy! No really though, I'm happy to be getting some new glasses and hopefully life will get a little clearer here soon. :) Did you learn anything new about eyes by reading this? I did...

Valentine's day was a nice day. I decided to get myself up and clean the kitchen and then make heart cookies. I wanted to specifically make some "promiscuous" cookies for Jordon... I got this idea from an old neighbor (thanks Kelly!) and just thought they were so funny, I had to try them. Of course, I didn't have the energy to make more than two, so the rest of the cookies were smeared with pink frosting and sprinkles. I tried to get Ethan to get his hands dirty, but he mostly enjoyed dipping his knife into the bowl and licking the frosting. Then afterwards, he really enjoyed the cookies. I called and ordered dinner from two restaurants (Famous Dave's BBQ for Jordon and Olive Garden for myself) and went and picked up dinner to bring to Jordon's work. I think "to go" dinner is the best way to go on valentine's day. I picked up our orders at 5 and there were so many couples there waiting for the hour long wait it was going to be for a table. I happily took my bag of food and left the restaurant feeling very good about myself that dinner was ready and we were about to enjoy a good meal without the wait. I know, romantic huh? Ethan sat and watched Thomas the train movies on Jordon's computer and Jordon and I sat and ate our yummy food and cookies for dessert.



On the Saturday before V-day, Jordon brought home roses and donuts. I had been craving donuts and wanting to eat an entire box for a few days, so it was the best gift he could have bought me that day! We both enjoyed eating the whole box (just half a dozen) by the end of the night. All in all, for how busy poor Jordon has been, it was a good valentine's day.

3 comments:

Scott and Karissa Conover said...

I definitely learned something about eyes. I love the cookies! Those r a funny good idea! lol

Anonymous said...

i love the photos. Love that song-these little wonders. Love you too!! mom

Jon said...

Sounds like stigmatisms are a Felt trait... You, me and Brian all have one in the right eye.