Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Choose Your Battles with a Toddler

Choose your battles... I know I know I know... but bodies need to eat good food at least some of the time, right? Have you ever felt like you spend your whole day fighting your toddler trying to get him/her to eat food? I know some kids are good about eating a variety of foods, but mine isn't. He's the pickiest little guy I've met (though I'm told I was just as picky once), some days he likes certain foods and the next he'll hate it. He has a hard time with textures, and yes I have to cut the crust off his toast just so he'll eat it, but yet he'll eat the crust on my banana bread. Lately I've been trying to wrack my brain and find ways to sneak veggies and other good foods into something he'll eat. I call it "scamming" my child. For example, sometimes I'll make a fruit smoothie for myself and I'll add in baby spinach to help me get my veggies (as I'm horrible at eating them too), and Ethan seems to enjoy these fruit drinks... Horay! Whenever I see him drink those, I get so excited inside and it feels like one large victory for mom! I plan to make zucchini bread soon, as I know he enjoys banana bread and it tastes similar. So I hope that's another recipe that will be a winner. But sheesh! It's tiring to have to constantly be thinking of the next snack or meal and I only have one child! I really don't know how moms do it with multiple kids.

So to all you moms and grandmoms out there reading this, if you have any great ways to "scam" toddlers into eating nutritious food without knowing it, let me know! I'm always looking for new things to add to fruit smoothies, quick bread recipes with veggies added, and whatever else you may have. Also, any good ideas on how to have fun with the presentation of food? I have thought about trying to use cookie cutters with sandwiches (which I'm still trying to get him to eat... yes that's right, he won't even eat PB&J!).

3 comments:

LunaMoonbeam said...

Does he like alfredo sauce? I like to make mashed cauliflower (steam some cauliflower in some chicken broth, blend it up, and then add some ricotta cheese). The kids wouldn't touch it. To use up the leftovers, I boiled some pasta the next night, and stirred it into the cauliflower. It was a hit! They thought it was alfredo sauce.

Good luck!!!!

Terri Lindsay said...

First off you need to get deceptivly delicious cookbook, it is exactly what your asking for. Another thing that will help you understand what your boy is doing is The Out of Synce Child book. But all you need to read is the chapters on Tactile Sensory, trust me it's eye opening. Kellen is a picky eater too. Let me know if I can help you with anything, It gets beter the older they get so just try to hang it there. But seriously get the cookbook! I have done 75% of the recipes and I love the ALL!

Quinn, Amanda, Reggie and Orrin said...

Someone gave us a Train sandwich cutter, and as long as I make him a train sandwich he will eat it. (he wouldn't touch them before) I'm sure cookie cutters would work also. I have heard that the Deceptivly Delicious cookbook is amazing also. I still haven't tried it, but I'm planning on it. Good Luck!