
Friday, September 24, 2010
The Food War continued and introducing the new Sneaky Chef
An update on the food war... I found two very cool books written by the same author called "The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies For Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite Meals" and "The Sneaky Chef To the Rescue: 101 all-new recipes and "sneaky" tricks for creating healthy meals kids will love" by Missy Chase Lapine. And I've got another book on hold at the library that I've been recommended "Deceptively Delicious" that I look forward browsing through and trying new recipes. So here's the deal so far on "The Sneaky Chef". I enjoy the simple recipes and the recipes to doctor up boxed products (like boxed brownies, or boxed mac n cheese vs homemade versions). So far I've been able to get Ethan to eat pancakes that were laced with sweet potatoes and we've made smoothies with sweet potatoes in them too (they were a tropical fruit flavor) and you couldn't tell any difference! I plan to try the brownies that have spinach and blueberries in them, and the cookies that have beans and oatmeal hidden amongst them (ethan won't eat oatmeal cookies yet). Plus, many more to try like mixing the pureed cauliflower and zucchini in with mac n cheese (which Ethan has finally been willing to try). I may just have to go out and purchase these books with how much I plan to use them. It actually makes me excited about cooking (which says ALOT for me) I like the deceptiveness and still being able to enjoy the fun foods kids normally like. I just gotta get my kid to eat things like grilled cheese sandwiches and other sorts like that. But in the mean time, I do have hope. I can't complain when I have a good day here and there where he'll eat oatmeal, yogurt, wheat crackers, and cheese all in one day! Woohoo!


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








2 comments:
Look at you, you sneaky mommy!! Watch out with those brownies though, we did some spinach ones and Kellen eat so many he got the "runs." Haha I figured, let him eat as many as he wants, there's no wheat and they have spinach! Boy was I wrong. Your doing awesome! I would try to pay close attention to what kinds of textures Ethan doesn't like such as, crunchy, soft, sweet, sour, mushy, etc. Kellen prefers crunchy, and more blan flavors. I bet there's a pattern there.
keep sharing the recipes! IF you have any more kids may they be far less picky! But Lilo is so cute it's easy to forgive him!
Post a Comment