I didn’t get a chance to share my thoughts yesterday on 9/11. I was only 16 that day, but I strongly remember the vulnerability I felt as I watched my country being attacked, the country I grew up always thinking that was built of indestructible steel, a country that no one would ever consider fighting against. After that day, I realized over time how much I took our freedom for granted in this country. As I watched people I knew be deployed and head off to war fighting for our freedom, I knew that life as I knew it had drastically changed. In some ways, my free spirited care free childhood ended that day as I watched the trade center collapse, the pentagon get hit by a plane, and watched live on tv as people jumped from buildings 60+ stories off the ground. I remember feeling completely helpless because I wanted so badly to help those emergency services workers search for victims. I had been apart of a fire department as an explorer (program for teenagers) since I was 14 and had some fire/ems experience and training. In some ways, I felt that I had lost family when over 300 fire/police were lost in the rubble of the towers.
I remember a few weeks later, standing side by side with my father in uniform (he in his police uniform, and I in my fire explorer uniform) at a special memorial service for those who died. It was the first time I went to a service where Taps were played, 21 gun salute was heard, bells rung, and I stood there among fellow police/fire/ems workers and tried my best not to shed tears. But I also remember the patriotism, the unity, and feeling extremely proud to be an American. I will never forget that day, as it is etched in my mind forever. I am proud to be American and I am proud to be a paramedic/firefighter and serve in my community. Yesterday we had a special memorial service and we have a new memorial in remembrance of 9/11 in front of our fire station. Our new pipes and drums band played, we had our honor guard present the flag to a family who lost their son at the pentagon. I always enjoy the unity, the “brotherhood/sisterhood” there at the department and glad I could be apart of it. I work with men and women who I trust with my life. There have been many times when I’ve been in scary situations at work where my nerves have been comforted because I know that I have a brother or sister watching my back and I’m extremely grateful for that. I am glad for our freedom, I’m grateful I can walk down the street safely, and speak and worship my religion freely. I hope and pray that my family will continue to always have those freedoms. May God continue to bless America and may we continue to never forget. Our new memorial and honor guard....
Flag held together by two ariel ladders (ladder trucks)






1 comment:
This is a really great post. I remember that day and that same vulnerability...truly life changing. I'm sad I missed the memorial service. Great pictures though.
Post a Comment