I had heard about it briefly over the summer when attending Relief Society in my In-laws ward, the RS book club was reading it during the month of August. Wow! What an awesome book! I will say right off, I recommend this to all who are willing to sit down for a time and read. It is a true story about one mans incredible sacrifice and journey to build schools in pakistan and afghanistan, specifically for girls. But not just schools, he also did so much more to help people by helping with projects that would bring clean water into villages, etc. He was a mountaineer/nurse for many years living out of his car, working ER shifts to earn money and then would take time off to go hiking. He was on a trip up K2 that failed and he got lost on his way down and ended up in a remote village in Pakistan where they nursed him back to health until he could get home. During his time in this village, he saw how poor and how little these people had. The children had no teacher and no school. They would sit out every day and use sticks to draw in the mud for their "school". He was determined to build them a school and provide a salary for a teacher to come and teach. One promise and many years later, he now is the head over the Central Asia Institute and they have built/supported over 100 schools (and many more teachers and students) in pakistan/afghanistan since 1993 by generous donations from all over the world. His reason for giving these children education? to help promote peace. He found over his years in Pakistan that many "terrorists" do not come from the village people, rather it is the fact that they have no education or strong foundation and the "terrorist" community tends to offer them something they would never have otherwise by attending their Jihad schools of extremism where the principles that lead to terrorism are taught. When children are given a fair opportunity to have education and given opportunities to continue that education with high school and college and then be able to work and make a living for their families, they are less likely to get tangled in those extremist groups. The book is great, I highly recommend it. It was a real eye opener for someone like me who has never been to a third world country or seen what real true poverty looks like. It's very humbling to read.Jordon took me to a Jim Brickman concert on campus on saturday night. I loved it!

Our wedding song was "The Gift" by Jim Brickman... and I've always enjoyed his music, so naturally I was so excited to go. It was great! Well other than that, we are busy with school and work and trying to find time as a family. Ethan is so fun as he continues to learn by leaps and bounds. He talks in his own jibberish all day long, but will certainly let you know when he wants "out!". He keeps us both busy and entertained. Jordon will be heading to Utah tomorrow to spend the rest of the week with his grandparents who spend this time of year hunting around the Vernal area. He has always loved his childhood trips with his granparents to hunt, but he hasn't been able to go since long before serving his mission. So I'm happy and excited for him that he gets to go spend some quality time with his Grandparents. So it'll just be Ethan and I this week... hmmm, what kind of trouble can the two of us get into? Maybe we'll eat all the oreo cookies that are in the kitchen cupboard (Ethan LOVES oreos...).






1 comment:
I will have to try that book! Have a fun weekend!
Post a Comment