Friday, June 3, 2011

World Super bike Weekend at Miller Motorsports Park

We had a busy weekend over Memorial Day. Jordon, Ethan & I headed to Utah for SBK weekend at Miller Motorsports Park (AKA: World Super bike weekend)... World Super bikes for those that don't know is a HUGE international sport that's very big in Europe (probably #2 after futbol = soccer - especially in Italy). This event is the only race that took place this year on the North American continent. It was broadcast to over 100 nations worldwide. With the help of my dad who works on staff at the park (he pretty much ran the weekend making sure everything went smoothly) my brother and I worked on the medical staff and Jordon volunteered on the track team. The medical staff were paired and placed near track team workers so that when a biker went down, we'd all run out and help any downed riders with medical issues and the track team would take care of the bike and get it off the track quickly to keep other bikers from going down (hopefully!)

On Friday night, Brian and I went to medical training to learn how to properly take helmets off and ask whatever questions we had to the medical doctor in charge. That was great training, these helmets are about a size smaller than normal on the rider's head and it is tough to get them off! We were warned about many things like how the SBK riders are known for being prima-donna's or drama queens, especially the Italians. They tend to get very angry when they go down and will not talk to you and they do not like you touching them unless they are unconscious or mangled with broken bones, or they ask for help. We are to get them off the track as quickly as possible (within about 3 minutes or less) because they DO NOT want to throw a red flag and go to commercial (that only costs them more $$$). We are part of a TV show during this event, so we are to remember to look official, run out as fast as we can to a downed rider so we look like we are concerned for their wellbeing- after all, fans of these riders are watching and they'll complain if the rider doesn't get the attention he/she needs. ABSOLUTELY no one dies on the track, we will resuscitate all the way to the helicopter and if they die, it will be on the helicopter or at the hospital. No one ever dies on the track... that just wouldn't be good publicity (HAHA! Is that bad that I'm laughing at all of this?) Also, if they broke their back or neck, it was already broken before we got to them, so just roll them on the backboard and get them off the track as quick as possible and then get them packaged with straps and c-collar. I can't help but chuckle at all this "new" knowledge, it was quite a different experience from street EMS.

Brian and I worked Saturday at turn 5 on the track. We had 1 rider that went down and got to run out and look all official. The biker was fine and got back on his bike quickly... bummer! (we EMT's have a sort of sick and twisted sense of humor that most don't get... it's basically the feeling that we don't want them to get injured, but if they do, they better do it in front of us so we are the ones to treat them). These bikers are trained fallers with alot of padding and protection, so it takes a really bad wreck to get injured.

Jordon and Brian worked Sunday. It was really wet and muddy, the track had alot of troubles that day with standing water and vehicles getting stuck in the mud. Both Saturday and Sunday were qualifying days for SBK and AMA (american version of super bikes).

Monday was the big race day. Brian and I were put on an ambulance at turn 8. Jordon worked near turn 2. We were just about to head out to turn 8 with a bunch of medical staff needing rides to other corners when someone jumped in the back and said there was a medical emergency (possible stroke) on the other side of the track in the RV area. We sped off to the call. Brian drove and I was sitting in the passenger seat. I looked in the back and there were about 6 EMT's including our boss Vern. I thought "oh gosh, we really don't need this many people! and I have no clue who are EMTs and who are medics. Vern helped direct us and I asked if I was allowed to do my advanced skills. The entire weekend we were told we'd just be doing basic skills, so I wasn't too prepared for this call and didn't know what I could legally do, afterall I was in a totally different state than I usually work in. I quickly found out that I was the only medic aboard and would be in charge. We arrived and thankfully my training kicked in like riding a bike and we assessed the patient only to figure out they weren't showing any signs of stroke. But the patient was still ill and we talked them into being transported to the hospital to be evaluated. While I was out talking to family and getting more info, the EMT's and security got the patient onto the gurney, but they placed her backwards and everyone was in such a hurry to get the patient in the ambulance, they didn't reposition. Brian and I found out later that most EMT's on the medical staff have little to no street experience, so this call was unusual for them and they were all hyped up on adrenaline. We both felt like saying "Everyone please just CALM down, this patient isn't going to die!" It made Brian and I feel like we were some of the rare few that had good field experience. We transported the patient and meanwhile Brian and Vern were in the back helping do vitals and assessments. We gave oxygen and I stuck and IV and did blood glucose. But along the transport I asked my boss if he had the number to the local ER (we were transporting off the raceway even though they have a medical center- but apparently this is unusual to do). No one had the number. So to make a long story short, we showed up unannounced which is a BIG no no (nurses and docs hate not being forewarned) and to make things worse, the patient was still backwards on the stretcher (partly my fault for not taking the time to switch the patient around during the ride). How embarrassing. But all in all, we did our job and I figured it was either a TIA (mini stroke) or bad case of something like the flu. Found out later that it was acute pneumonia even though lung sounds were clear as day. After dropping the patient at the ER, we headed lights and sirens back to the track to get there in time for the race to start. Brian and I were posted at the medical center for the first half of the day and then we headed to turn 8, which I have to say is one of the best corners because it's a bunch of "S" curves and we had a blast watching the bikes zoom through, they get extremely low to the ground from corner to corner practically dragging their knee. There was one crash and we got to run out once again and look official, but no injuries. There were other crashes and injuries on other corners throughout the weekend. Jordon went on a crash and was the first worker that got to the bike and rider (he proudly states that he was out there within just a few seconds) and was able to get the 400lb bike back up quickly and off the track (the bike was busted big time.

Overall, it was a fun weekend. I really enjoyed working with my brother. We work in neighboring counties and this was the first time we worked together as EMT's. I especially enjoyed the emergency call we were on together as partners, that was a rare experience that we may never repeat unless we work more weekends at the track together and get more injuries.

The following is a LONG list of photos. Oh and Ethan spent the weekend playing with Grammy, Aunts & Uncles and cousins. He really had a great time. They even went to the zoo. Grammy told me how he saw a giant dinosaur at the zoo and stood there and roared at it. I wish we had a video of that.

My brother Brian and I at turn 5 on Saturday


Feeling bored and COLD!

Celebrating Uncle Paul's birthday with the family

MMMM! Cake is GOOD!


In the Ambulance on Monday

Bike coming into the pits

Bikes on the straightaway (they go up to 200+ mph on the straights)
Brian in his "big bird" jacket (or that's what I nicknamed it)



My home away from home...



One of the pace cars... so pretty!

Turn 8!!! So fun...

Check out this picture closely... the bikes in the distance and how far sideways they go on the turns


My Daddy and I

Brian & Dad

Fans showing their proud patriotism...


Dinner after all the races - listening to dad tell of his adventures of the day

Dad telling his adventures

The four of us

The only pictures of Jordon and I from the weekend


Military field of flags near the straightaway




No comments: