Ethan has been sick for the last few days. Still not sure what, but he's had a fever and now has respiratory symptoms and croup that we are keeping a close eye on. I rented "The Little Engine that Could" (new movie) and we've been watching it for the past day and half straight... literally over and over all day long. Needless to say, I returned the movie to redbox and ended up buying it tonight for our sanity, and I figured we'd save a little money since he loves it and we'll probably be watching more of it during our sick weekend. There's a part at the end were a bully kid ends up getting hit with apples and bananas from a vending machine and for some reason Ethan thinks it's so funny, he just laughs and laughs each time and wants to watch it again. So I took a video:
I wish I could say that Mother's Day weekend would be relaxing, but it's more of a true "mother's" day, truly challenging my motherly skills. I've spent the last few days giving meds every few hours, trying to keep a high fever down, going to the doctor, giving antibiotics (which don't seem to be working, so it may be more viral, but not sure with the high temp), getting up multiple times at night... Well, it's the true life of motherhood, isn't it? I worry so much about my little boy. You'd think as a medic, I'd know what to do. But truth be told, unless it's a life or death emergency, I'm as clueless as any other mother. I've got general knowledge of how to care for croup at home, but it's hard to know when I need to take my child into a doctor for breathing treatments other than the obvious signs of respiratory distress. Of course there's also the problem that I tend to hold off on going to the doctor due to pride and from my years in the ER and seeing parents over react and bring their kid in for something small that isn't an emergency and I don't want to be that parent, especially since I know most of the ER nurses and docs. Oh how embarrassing would that be! Yet, I hate seeing my little man suffer, so I have to be careful and listen to my instincts instead of my pride. So another sleepless night is in order as I worry worry worry and hope he sleeps well without incident. Who knows, we may be sitting in a steaming bathroom or taking a late night (or early morning) walk in the cool night air. On top of that, I'm getting a cold and Jordon is in the midst of finals. Why is it that we all get sick around finals, when he's so busy and can't be home to help much? I guess I should have known by now... I'm just glad my hubby has a strong immune system and isn't usually the one to get sick. Unfortunately I don't have that same strong immunity. But as always, we will survive! Happy Mother's Day to my Mothers, grandmothers, sisters, and friends, you are all truly an inspiration to me! And here's to hoping we don't end up spending it in the ER!









No comments:
Post a Comment