Thursday, February 10, 2011

Liana's steps to feeling human during winter....

I am finding myself once again in a deep depression, a place  I never wanted to go back to again... third time in three years...  I won't go into details as I'm still not sure yet what is really going on, but I am seeking treatment for it. In the mean time, I thought I'd write a funny post of Liana's list of sure fire ways to make yourself at least feel somewhat human when you are finding yourself in the winter blues... It's not a way to beat the blues, but it's my list of what I've found over the few years this has happened, that works for me. You ladies will enjoy this (sorry boys!):

1. If you want to scream everytime you look at yourself in the mirror because a) you haven't showered in days and haven't worn makeup in who knows how long or b) you are so white, you look translucent... then go tanning! That's right, forget about all the warnings of skin cancer and just buck up and pay the price to darken that skin... I love the feel of the heat and laying there doing something that is for me. Plus, within a few weeks of tanning twice a week or so, you will feel like you litterally have color in your cheeks again!

2. Put makeup on EVERYDAY! I'm bad at this, I think "why should I put makeup on and waste it when I'm not even going anywhere?" but even if it's mascara and lip gloss... that helps. Because then when you walk into the bathroom throughout the day and look in the mirror, you aren't going "ugh, I look so horribly ugly!" instead you might pleasantly suprise yourself and say "wow, my eyes or lips look great today!" My faves at the moment are Kiss My Face sheer oranic shine lip gloss in Ruby... (just got it today) and I think I may even go back and try the garnet color (deeper red). I also love M.A.C blush in Warm Soul, gives you the bronze look like you actually have color (and don't look like a vampire!). That's my faves for my skin at the moment. Oh! And don't feel bad about putting on your foundation everyday even if you aren't going anywhere, after all, if you are tanning, you will eventually have to buy a darker foundation, so you might as well use up what you've got! Right?

3. Buy yourself a new pair of shoes, or in my case 2 pairs of shoes. They have to be sexy of course! :) Or buy a new outfit, or new jewelry, or ALL of the above! You deserve it! It will help that "frumpy" feeling wittle away for the day you wear it. In my case, I bought these great shoes at an awesome price, but haven't been able to wear them outside yet because of the ice and snow... but it doesn't stop me from wearing them around the house!


4. Get your hair cut and dyed... I haven't done that yet, but I want to!
5. Watch lots of movies, catch up on some tv shows, and read your favorite magazines (note to anyone who might not be able to afford buying all those magazines, go to the library! It's a great place to read them or if they let you check them out, then do it!)
6. Read some good books  (my current faves are Ally Carter's series of the Gallagher Girls- think high school girls, spy school, drama, funny)
7. Make sure you've got easy snacks/meals stocked in the pantry/fridge/freezer. You know, the microwave steamed veggies that go easily with any meal, or frozen fruit for some good ol fruit smoothies, etc.
8. Stock up on chocolate! Lots of it! I usually just sit and eat out of a bag of chocolate chips...
9. Listen to good music, whatever your fancy... happy music, get up and go music, church music, classical music, whatever makes you feel happy or relaxed.
10. Exercise, do yoga, learn to deep breathe, take some time to lay down and breathe while listening to the sounds of the ocean or rain or whatever sounds you want.
11. Buy paper plates, cups, plastic utensils to lighten the dish load
12. On those really bad days when you've got kids to take care of but can't get up and go, blow up an air mattress, put on some kid movies and lay in the living room all day... yes that's right, ALL day long! :) And don't feel bad about it either.

Well that's my two cents... it's not a fixer by any means, but like I said, it at least helps get you through those awful days and helps you feel a little human. Here's to winter! BLAH!

2 comments:

Scott and Karissa Conover said...

I loved all those ideas! especially tanning I could definitely use that right now!

Mary Partridge Brassell said...

Thanks for the tips...I think I am all about the paper plates! One second you have this total high and are thinking, "wow, I totally just made dinner" and then the high is out the window and you are doing all the dishes. Hate the winter blues.