Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Blasted Cream of Wheat!
Can I just say that Cream of Wheat is the most yucky yet yummy hot cereal of all time? Well ok, it's kinda bland, but I eat it alot because I make it for Ethan and Jordon likes it too. One of the only healthy things I can get the kid to eat, sometimes... when I pour lots of sugar in it. So here I am having this blah day and feeling like a terrible mom because all my kid has done for the past few days is sit on the couch and eat cold cereal and snacks while watching movies. I'm in this "surviving", not "thriving" mom mode right now. And so I decide after we'd spent an hour out in the cold playing (and yes we played through the hail storm too... that counts for something on the "good ol' mom" scale right?), so I decide to try to be an even better mom and make my kid dinner... or at least we are going to eat breakfast for dinner. I make cream of wheat and toast and plant him in his booster chair only to find that he's wiggly and trying to squirm out of his chair, in the midst of the squirms, he knocks the bowl of hot cereal all over the table, himself, the chair, the floor and everything else around. Have you ever had to try to clean up this wonderful yet devilish cereal before? Well if not, I'll tell you what it's like. See I have a love hate relationship with it... it's somewhat nutritious and my child will eat it, so I love it. Yet he gets it all over his jammies, hands, and face in the morning after eating it and it's the devil trying to get it out of clothes and off the skin and it sticks to EVERYTHING! If you leave it on the clothes too long and then go try to wash it out, it just ends up sticking on the clothes through the wash cycle and drying into a hard clump during the drying. So here I am pulling the shirt off Ethan, while he's giving me this deathly scream because it's the most icky feeling on his hands (this is a child who can't stand getting his hands wet in snow and has to come and have his hands brushed off and dried if he gets a dusting of snow on his fingers... so imagine the feeling of goo running through the fingers, then he slips on it, so its now more on his hands and on his feet. So screams are flowing endlessly through the mouth while I'm carrying him to the bathtub and yet he fights me all the way, throwing more cereal all over the carpet, the walls, me, and whatever else is in the way. I end up also stepping in it myself so I have it on my sock and still have mud on my pants from earlier in the afternoon that has yet to be cleaned off or changed. Oh JOY! Thankfully, I still have my bowl of hot cereal (which I do not plan to spill) and he's blissfully and FINALLY playing in the tub getting clean. It'll be another night of cold cereal for the little man again. But I know he'll survive, he always loves the marshmallows from the lucky charms and the berries from the captain crunch cereal. and our new favorite, Kefir (a yogurty probiotic healthy drink). Oh well... Happy Motherhood!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
awww....yuck! Being a mom is the grossest, best job in the world, isn't it? Your posts make me wish I was closer!! You're near Sara F., right? (I love giving white rice to kids- if you let it dry out after dinner, everything just sweeps up...so long as no one steps in it, because it NEVER comes out of socks :P
haha! Been there!
Post a Comment