Friday, November 14, 2008

Persecution of Our Faith and Beliefs

It's been a while since I last posted and I have much I could write about, but one thing that weighs heavily on my mind is what I'd like to say. I'll admit that I'm not usually one who publicly speaks out on issues of right and wrong, not because I don't want to, but because I'm pretty shy and tend to be afraid to do so. But I feel very strongly about this and want to voice my views and opinion. I don't live in California, but I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and I fully support proposition 8 in California. I believe that only a marriage between a man and woman is ordained of God. With that said, I'm saddened by the protests, vandalism, and mayhem that is occurring not only in California, but throughout the nation on an all out attack against my faith and religion. I don't even know the full extent of it, I've only heard bits and pieces and can only imagine how hard it is right now for some people. I live in what we call the "bubble", where I am surrounded by those of my faith, so I haven't been in the midst of persecution myself. I can't imagine being fearful of going to the temple to worship the Lord and have fear that I may very well be attacked by protesters on my way into the Temple because I am "Mormon" and believe that it is my right to preserve the sanctity of marriage. How sad it must be to see local church buildings, our own places of worship, be vandalized with windows broken out and spray paint on walls. Our Heavenly Father must really be saddened by what he is seeing right now with the people of this world. Those who do not agree with the sanctity of marriage call us "haters" and "intolerant". I disagree, I feel that they are the ones who are acting as "haters" and "intolerant" and they need to turn around and look at themselves and how they are acting and reacting. In a news article I recently read today, I particularly agree with the ending where a man was quoted saying "the peaceful marches of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., are drastically different than the recent violent displays, mainly because King was seeking natural civil rights and homosexuals are demanding public endorsement of their "unnatural sexual behavior"'. http://www.onenewsnow.com/Politics/Default.aspx?id=319132 But to put it in the best words possible, I will add a statement here given by our First Presidency today on this issue:

"Since the people of California voted to reaffirm the sanctity of traditional marriage between a man and a woman on November 4, 2008, places of worship have been targeted by opponents of Proposition 8 with demonstrations and, in some cases, vandalism. People of faith have been intimidated for simply exercising their democratic rights. These are not actions that are worthy of the democratic ideals of our nation. The end of a free and fair election should not be the beginning of a hostile response in America.

The Church is keenly aware of the differences of opinion on this difficult and sensitive matter. The reasons for this principled stand in defense of marriage have already been articulated elsewhere. However, some of what we have seen since Californians voted to pass Proposition 8 has been deeply disappointing.

Attacks on churches and intimidation of people of faith have no place in civil discourse over controversial issues. People of faith have a democratic right to express their views in the public square without fear of reprisal. Efforts to force citizens out of public discussion should be deplored by people of goodwill everywhere.

We call upon those who have honest disagreements on this issue to urge restraint upon the extreme actions of a few that are further polarizing our communities and urge them to act in a spirit of mutual respect and civility towards each other."

More and more everyday I see and recognize what I have been reading in the scriptures. Our world can be compared to the stories of Sodom and Gomorrah, of the quarrel between the Nephites and Lamanites, etc. The list goes on. When I sit and study the scriptures, all I see now are things that are happening to us at this very moment in time and it reaffirms my testimony that the Book of Mormon was truly written for our day to teach us of Christ's teachings and gospel and to warn us of what happens to us when we are not faithful and follow the commandments of the Lord.

Many could take what is happening and feel fear. Some days I feel afraid myself for what might happen and what is to come in this life. But then I am reminded of what Elder Neil L. Andersen said in his recent conference address that "Fear and faith cannot coexist in our hearts at the same time." I try to remind myself of that everyday. When I do think about it, I am comforted by this statement and remember to be faithful instead of fearful, for I know the Lord will take care of those who follow his commandments.

2 comments:

Shaun said...

Amen
-Shaun Johnson

Karen said...

I agree. You put it so well. Thanks for articulating it.